Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Inspiration Has Many Forms

Occasionally I catch myself getting wrapped up in negative thoughts about my lack of run speed, or the current state of my training (some days the list is longer than others).  Usually this is triggered by poor results in a workout, or a training session with far superior runners/triathletes.  I try not to allow for these pity parties to last too long, and I have a particular method for snapping out of a spell of feeling sorry for myself.
 When I find myself wishing that I had just a little more natural ability, I think about people like Amy McDonaugh.  This past weekend, Amy raced and won the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati, Ohio.  She  bested all 4,295 female competitors with a smoking fast 2:58:14.  Amy McDonaugh’s accomplishment is impressive enough, without ever mentioning the fact that she is legally blind 
Hearing about stories like Amy’s are incredibly motivating for me.  How could I ever waste any time feeling sorry for myself when there are incredible athletes like Amy who are pushing athletic boundaries, and living life to the fullest despite coping with what some would view as a considerable physical disability?  There are thousands of athletes who wake up every morning and chose to move, compete, and celebrate life with the hand that they were dealt.    This is more inspiring to me than any record holder or world champion.  Keep on racing Amy, your tenacity inspires us all.
To read about Amy’s win in Cincinnati, check out this link-- http://goo.gl/5ObVF 

To find out more about incredible athletes like Amy who come from all walks of life, please check out the Challenged Athletes Foundation at-- http://goo.gl/mpu5W

No comments:

Post a Comment