Saturday, July 23, 2011

It's HOT out there!

Here's a quick update as to what I have been up to training wise.  Like just about everyone else in the continental U.S., I have spent considerable energy the past several weeks trying to figure out how to manage training sessions effectively with the summer heat.  In the way of strategy; I have started longer bike efforts earlier in the morning to avoid the hottest part of the day, and moved afternoon recovery rides indoors to the trainer.  At least once a week I am logging a run on a treadmill.  I typically like to tackle swim workouts in the morning, but I have moved a few swims (at Chapel Hill's fantastic Homestead Aquatic Center) to the afternoon.  This has been allowing me to smash a quality ride or run in the morning, and hide from the 112 degree heat index in a lap lane during the hottest part of the day.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina....or at least how it feels on a July afternoon.
       

As an exercise physiology geek, I feel that treadmills and bike trainers are great supplemental tools that can be leaned on sparingly during a training week- but neither can truly provide the specific benefits of an outdoor ride with multiple hilly climbs or the quick turnover of a track session.  I've been looking at daily training decisions with a critical eye, picking my battles with the North Carolina heat wisely.  The potential value of certain workouts can only be reached outside, but there is definitely a point of diminishing returns when working in high heat/high humidity conditions.   

I had a great week in the pool- with right at 15k yards of quality group workouts.  Fast dudes Mark C and James D pushed me hard this week, and I'm glad they tolerated the slow dude in the lane with them.  This was also a bit of a big volume bike week for me, with a little over 10 hours in the saddle from Sunday to today- topped off with the Carrboro P ride this morning.  Tomorrow's long run rolls right into a week of high volume/high intensity, while looking ahead to the Lake Logan Olympic Triathlon on August 6th.

Wishing everyone a healthy, safe week of tackling your goals.

jw

No comments:

Post a Comment